Graceland University has a full-time position open for Vice President for Business and Finance (VPBF). The VPBF is expected to spend time on both the Lamoni, IA, and Independence, MO campuses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The VPBF serves as the Chief Financial Officer for the university and is a key member of the university’s administrative leadership team, providing both strategic leadership and operational management to the university. The VPBF reports directly to the president and assists Graceland’s vice presidents and senior leaders on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to financial forecasting, cost benefit analysis, budget management, resource allocation, and the securing of new funding when such funding comes through financial, investment, real estate, and related markets. The new VPBF will be a strategic leader at the university with a priority focused on growth, driving revenue in existing areas and leading new revenue streams with key partners at the University.
The VPBF also has primary operational responsibility for the business services area, including financial oversight, accounting and audit, human resources office, informational technology services, facility services, outsource partners, contracts, and plan operations. The VPBF has [five] staff members as direct reports with over  total employees with the functional areas for which the VPBF is responsible.
The VPBF is responsible for leading university initiatives (e.g., Blue, Gold & Bold financial model, building projects, digital transformation, etc.) and plays a primary role in university strategic planning and the university’s campus master plan. The VPBF also serves the financial liaison and sits on the Board of Directors for Graceland’s subsidiary, SkillPath. The VPBF will serve as the primary staff for the Board of Trustees Business Services Committee.
(40%) Financial Strategy Development, Revenue Growth and Implementation. The VPBF has a broad strategic portfolio that includes collaborating with the president and vice presidents to put the university’s resources to best use in advancing its mission. The priority area for VPBF is revenue growth and leading and partnering in that work.
(20%) Chief Business Officer. The VPBF provides leadership, insight, vision, and an integrated financial planning that optimizes resources in support of the university’s mission and strategic priorities.
(10%) Committee Liaison and SkillPath Treasurer/Secretary. Serves as the primary liaison to the Business Services Committee of the Board of Trustee. Provides strategic and financial oversight of investments, including SkillPath,
(30%) Operational Responsibility. Leads, mentors and supervises the Business Services, Facility Services, Accounting Services, Information Technology, and Human Resources departments to align with mission for strategic direction of the University.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will possess at least five years of exceptional leadership in a high-level financial role, track record of successful strategic and fiscal planning, strong professional ethics and a commitment to the mission of a liberal arts private university with residential undergraduates and on-line learners at all levels. In addition:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or accounting, or related field – master’s preferred, CPA, SHRM, or PHR optional
- At least five years of financial experience, including high-level management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of an organization of at least [60 employees]
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting preferred with demonstrated evidence of familiarity of national trends and best practices in higher education accounting and finance
- Ability to think creatively, collaboratively, and strategically
- Experience in operational and strategic planning, policy development, and financial analysis
- Good digital, written, and oral communication skills with the ability to articulate a financial vision and to motivate the Graceland community to use its resources efficiently and creatively
- An open, collaborative, and engaging management style that promotes partnerships and builds strong relationships both across the campus and communities
- Possesses a growth mindset to appropriately challenge the “norm” and help move the university forward with innovative, growth and creative thinking and execution of Graceland’s strategic priorities
- Experience in growth of revenue and ability to strategically reduce expenses to best utilize funds
- Knowledge of IT, digital approaches to effectively oversee digital transformation, data management and technology
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports: Human Resources, Information Technology Services, Facility Services, Accounting, and Business Services.
Other Requirements: Travel to both campuses, some overnight and some evening/weekend working hours required. Successfully pass background and credit checks.
Equal Opportunity Employment has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Graceland University, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, creed, gender identity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic by law. Read more about Graceland’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Candidates should submit the following electronically as a PDF:
- A letter of interest that directly addresses the leadership opportunity outlined in the profile above,
- A resume, and
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of four references. References will not be contacted without first securing the permission of the candidate.
Please submit application material below or by sending to ApplyHigherEd@eflassociates.com and direct any questions to Edith Kitay by phone at 816.841.4001 or at Edith.Ketay@eflassociates.com.