Graceland University has developed standards for acceptance based on commonly used indicators, which reflect a prospective student has been prepared and has the potential to complete college level work at a passing level. These indicators are chosen as they reflect a student’s aptitude for certain subjects, commitment to their education, and performance.
The alternate procedure for acceptance is designed to provide a pathway for admission for students who do not meet these standards. This process gathers additional information which may be helpful in determining the readiness of a prospective student, which may not be adequately reflected by the acceptance criteria.
Recruiters are to consult with the VP of Enrollment when they become aware of a student, for which the alternate procedure may be appropriate for consideration. Additional pieces of information will be requested by the Dean of Admissions, or designee, on a case-by-case basis, and may include the following:
- A written statement from the student answering the following questions:
- What factors have led to your below standard grade point average, test score, or class rank?
- What have you done, and when, to improve your academic or testing performance?
- What steps will you take at Graceland to set yourself up for success both academically and personally?
- What coping strategies do you utilize when managing stress?
- What are some challenges you anticipate you might face in college? How will you choose to respond?
- Up-to-date High School transcripts including the most recently completed semester, when possible.
- 2-3 Letters of recommendation, email, or reference-check-style interview, from a high school employee who can verify college readiness. The interview can be documented in a report and submitted for review by an Admissions Counselor, Coach, the VP of Enrollment, or their designee. The following information will be requested:
- Please describe __(name of prospective student)__ as a student and community member.
- Please describe their character/work ethic in the academic environment.
- Do you believe __(name of prospective student)__ is ready for college level academic work?
The Admissions Counselor, Coach, or VP of Enrollment, will communicate directly with the prospective student, outlining what is requested and a deadline for completion. Once collected, information regarding prospective student athletes will be evaluated by the Athletic Director, or designee, and forwarded to the VP of Enrollment, for review and acceptance decision. All other prospective students will be forwarded directly to the VP of Enrollment, or their designee.
When a decision has been reached, it will be communicated to the Admissions Counselor/Coach and the Admissions Specialists to have the prospective student’s record updated to reflect the acceptance decision.
The Admissions Counselor, Coach, the VP of Enrollment, or their designee will contact the student to let them know the decision within one week of submission of all requested materials.