Student Services

Our mission is to help students become successful, serious and self-aware individuals who graduate from Graceland and move on for advanced study and/or productive careers that help them live rewarding lives. The atmosphere in student services is a friendly, accepting and personal one where students feel welcomed and accepted for who they are. Each student is challenged and supported to grow as an individual. Information of a personal nature is kept strictly confidential.

Academic Counseling

Graceland uses a dual academic advising model.

Academic advisors are available in Career Services to help students develop a schedule of classes, and talk with them about their career goals. Once a student has formally decided their major, a faculty advisor will finish helping them with their academic plan. Advisors are always happy to spend time with students discussing majors at Graceland, and what graduation requirements are connected to each major.

Jen Abraham-White
Phone: 614.784.5079 

Patt Hoffman, Special Programs - Transfers
Phone: 641.784.5219 

Professional Personal Counseling

If a student has questions, problems or concerns, they are not alone. The Professional Personal Counselor provides confidential mental health counseling and education to help you maintain mental wellness throughout the college experience.

The Professional Personal Counselor helps all students with problems such as depression, anxiety and other behavioral and emotional concerns that interfere with their academic and social life on campus through individual or couples counseling and crisis intervention, as needed. Through the counseling process, students may explore their interpersonal relationships and their college experience. The Professional Personal Counselor is also available for presentations on topics such as sexual assault awareness, how to recognize and treat depression, setting boundaries for good relationships, assertiveness, conflict resolution, and other mental health issues. The Professional Personal Counselor may refer students to other professional services when necessary.

Dee White Eye, LISW, Professional Personal Counselor
Office Hours: Weekdays 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. by appointment 
Location: Memorial Student Center (MSC), Room 26
Phone: 641.784.5463

Intercultural Office

Graceland University is blessed with a very diverse campus community that is supported through many organizations and offices. The Intercultural Office primarily assists international students in successfully accomplishing their academic, social and professional objectives by:

  • Providing sessions for orientation and ongoing needs throughout their university career
  • Creating bridge building activities and opportunities across campus and in the community
  • Supporting students in navigating US government regulations

Student Support Services

Graceland University's Lamoni campus is fortunate to sponsor a TRIO grant program, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, called Student Support Services (SSS).

Eligibility: to assist low income students raised by parents without four year degrees, or low income students who have a documented disability. You must be a U.S. citizen or have an alien registration number to qualify. Eligibility does not guarantee acceptance into the program.

Goal: to increase the retention and graduation rates of those traditionally under-represented in post-secondary education.

The program provides intentional interventions proven to boost academic, social, and personal readiness for the attainment of a bachelor's degree. Some of the services provided are:

  • developmental courses in math, English, and study skills
  • one-on-one or small group tutoring
  • academic advising
  • financial literacy development
  • peer mentoring
  • help navigating the university environment
  • assistance connecting to outside services

Nationally, students in the SSS TRIO program are more than twice as likely to remain in college as students from similar background who do not participate in the program.




**Graceland University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at