House System

The basic unit of student life is known as a "house." The house system is a unique program of the University based on the principle of inclusion that recognizes the importance of each student attending the University and celebrates the individuality of each person.

At Graceland, we offer a unique system that merges student government and the housing system. Each floor of the residence halls is designated as a "house” with its own name, symbol and colors. The integration of student government and the houses allows student leaders to impact the entire campus community and to plan and run programs for the house. This is accomplished by house council leaders becoming the members and decision makers in the student government organizations. This unique system immediately engages students in positive communities. 

Members of the house elect six students, known as the House Council, to hold key leadership positions. Under their direction, social, religious and academic support activities are planned for house members. By cooperative effort, the house organizes its own social, intramural, diversity and religious programs. All activities will assure the student freedom to determine the extent of their participation in all house activities. Participation in any house activity is completely voluntary.

House Inclusion Philosophy

"Everyone who is here belongs here just because they are here, and for no other reason."

This is our rule. It depends on nothing else. Nothing changes it.



*Facts provided above have been taken directly from The Graceland College Book of Knowledge, Goehner, David (1995).



**Graceland University is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.  You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at