- Applicant must have earned a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale, or the equivalent from a non-U.S. institution. Students with a GPA below 3.0 will need to demonstrate the ability to do work at the graduate level. Applicants who have not earned a baccalaureate degree from a recognized and U.S. regionally accredited institution or its educational equivalent will be considered individually.
- Applicant must complete the application form that is available on the seminary website.
- Applicant must provide official transcripts of all course work. International students are responsible to submit a professional audit of their undergraduate transcript and GPA (Grade Point Average) equivalency by CGFNS or World Education Service (WES). The student (or sponsoring organization, e.g. the church) is responsible for the cost of this audit.
- Applicant should request references from three persons who can attest to the applicant's promise for graduate study. References use the form at this link: Reference Form, and must be submitted to applicant in a sealed envelope. Recommenders should be persons who have known the applicant for more than 1 year and who have knowledge of the intellectual and ministerial abilities of the applicant.
- Please have all transcripts and references sent to your address in sealed envelopes to be mailed together in one packet. Send your complete packet to: Graceland University, Independence Campus Attn: Seminary Admissions, 1401 West Truman Road, Independence, MO 64050.
- International students must have proficiency in both spoken and written English. To be considered for admission, students whose first language is not English must submit a TOEFL score of 550 or higher on the written exam or a 80 or higher on the online exam. Exceptions will be granted on a case by case basis (for example, someone whose first language is not English but whose undergraduate degree is from an English speaking institution, etc.)
Graceland University Community of Christ Seminary has a rolling admissions process; students may apply at any time during the year. International student must submit TOEFL scores and the WES or CGFNS audit as part of their application packet, which is typically due by May 30 of the year in which the potential student will begin the MAR program. New MAR cohorts begin in the fall term each year.
- The MAR (Master of Arts in Religion) is a 31 semester-hour graduate degree. Students must satisfactorily complete all 10 courses of the curriculum with a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students must attend focus sessions in person when a course includes a focus session. Focus sessions are scheduled during the fourth week of both January and May of each year.
- A maximum of nine semester hours with a grade of "C" will apply toward the MAR degree. Students who earn a "C" in more than the maximum allowed number of hours will be required to repeat excess courses in which a "C" was earned. Students must repeat any course in which they earn a grade lower than a "C."
- Students will normally successfully complete requirements for the MAR degree in two years of part-time study; students are allowed up to four years to complete the program.
Transfer of Credits
Students may request the transfer of a maximum of 9 semester hours of credit for the MAR, provided that the courses transferred approximate courses offered by Community of Christ Seminary, were taken at a regionally accredited institution or its non-US equivalent, and that the student earned at least a “B” in those courses. The request must be accompanied by an official transcript from the institution where the credit was earned.
Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Applications are due by May 31 to be considered for the fall cohort.
If the fall cohort is full, applicants may be admitted to enroll for the following year.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The application fee is non-refundable unless requested within three business days of Graceland receiving the fee.
Please have those who are providing a reference for you fill out this Reference Form.
Community of Christ Seminary
1401 W. Truman Road
Independence, MO 64050