Graceland University announced the formation of Decatur County Promise Scholars, a scholarship program aimed at investing back into the community it has called home for 125 years. In addition to Graceland, Decatur County, Iowa, is home to three high schools: Lamoni, Central Decatur, and Mormon Trail.
Graceland University believes in the potential of its local community and is investing financial resources to ensure that students from Decatur County have the opportunity to experience Graceland’s top-notch education by offering a full tuition scholarship to eligible students in the Decatur County high schools.
Students qualifying for the Graceland’s Decatur County Promise Scholars program will not only receive the tuition benefit to attend Graceland but will also have opportunities to give back through service learning and community service. By investing directly in its backyard, Graceland believes the potential of Decatur County residents can be realized through its values of learning, wholeness, and community.
Do you qualify?
- Spend at least two years in one or more of the three Decatur County high schools (Lamoni HS, Central Decatur HS, or Mormon Trail HS) (“Qualifying High School”)
- Graduate from a Qualifying High School in 2020 or later
- Meet Graceland’s requirements for admission.
To be considered for acceptance at Graceland University, you must qualify with two of the following three criteria:
- Rank in upper 50 percent of your high school class
- Have a 2.50 grade point average or above based on a 4.00 system
- (optional) Have either a minimum composite ACT score of 21 or a minimum combined SAT I score of 1060.
How do you take advantage of this scholarship?
- Complete your application to Graceland University
- File your FAFSA using Graceland’s school code (001866) and apply for all eligible financial aid (e.g., Pell Grant, Iowa Tuition Grant, student loans, etc.) by federal and state deadlines, currently listed as July 1.
Are there on-going requirements?
- Be enrolled full-time at Graceland University
- Live in residential campus housing and have a full meal plan on the Graceland campus in Lamoni, Iowa
- Contribute 20 hours of community service back to Decatur County annually
- File your FAFSA and apply for all eligible financial aid (e.g., Pell, Iowa Tuition Grant, student loans, etc.) by federal and state deadlines, currently listed as July 1 of each year
- Freshmen Year: GPA of 2.0+ and 24 earned credit hours by the end of the second semester.
- Sophomore Year: GPA of 2.50+ and 48 earned credit hours by the end of the fourth semester.
- Junior/Senior Years: GPA of 2.50+ maintained
*Tuition award is created utilizing federal and state grants along with institutional scholarships.
The Decatur County Promise Scholars award can be received for a maximum of 8 consecutive semesters (fall and spring semesters only).