- Applicant must have earned a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale, or the equivalent from a non-U.S. institution. Students with a GPA below 3.0 will need to demonstrate the ability to do work at the graduate level. Applicants who have not earned a baccalaureate degree from a recognized and U.S. regionally accredited institution or its educational equivalent will be considered individually.
- Applicant must complete the application from that is available on the seminary website.
- Applicant must provide official transcripts of all course work.
- Applicant should request references from three persons who can attest to the applicant's promise for graduate study. References use the form at this link: Reference Form, and must be submitted to applicant in a sealed envelope. Recommenders should be persons who have known the applicant for more than 1 year and who have knowledge of the intellectual and ministerial abilities of the applicant.
- Please have all transcripts and references sent to your address in sealed envelopes to be mailed together in one packet. Send your complete packet to: Graceland University, Independence Campus Attn: Seminary Admissions, 1401 West Truman Road, Independence, MO 64050.
Graceland University Community of Christ Seminary has a rolling admissions process; students may apply at any time during the year. New MAR cohorts begin in the fall term each year.
- The Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) is a 31 semester-hour graduate degree. Students must satisfactorily complete all 10 courses of the curriculum with a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students must attend focus sessions in person when a course includes a focus session. Focus sessions are scheduled during the fourth weeks of January and May of each year.
- A maximum of nine semester hours with a grade of "C" will apply toward the MAR degree. Students who earn a "C" in more than the maximum allowed number of hours will be required to repeat excess courses in which a "C" was earned. Students must repeat any course in which they earn a grade lower than a "C."
- Students will normally successfully complete requirements for the MAR degree in two years of part-time study; students are allowed up to four years to complete the program.
M.A.R. Degree - Religion
- RELG5011 Christian Theology 3 s.h.
- RELG5022 Introduction to the Hebrew Bible 3 s.h.
- RELG5040 New Testament - Gospels and Acts 3 s.h.
- RELG5050 New Testament - Letters and Apocalypse 3 s.h.
- RELG5060 History of Christian Thought I 3 s.h.
- RELG5070 History of Christian Thought II 3 s.h.
- *RELG5330 Community of Christ I: 1820-1914, History-Scripture-Theology 3 s.h.
- *RELG5340 Community of Christ II: 1914-Present, History-Scripture-Theology 3 s.h.
- RELG6240 Contemporary Culture and Theologies 3 s.h.
- RELG6500 Portfolio 1 s.h.
- RELG6900 Advanced Topics in Practical Ministry 1-3 s.h.
*Students from other denominations may substitute approved denomination-specific course work.
Transfer of Credits
Students may request the transfer of a maximum of 9 semester hours of credit for the MAR, provided that the courses transferred approximate courses offered by Community of Christ Seminary, were taken at a regionally accredited institution or its non-US equivalent, and that the student earned at least a “B” in those courses. The request must be accompanied by an official transcript from the institution where the credit was earned.
You may apply online.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The application fee is non-refundable unless requested within three business days of Graceland receiving the fee.
Please have those who are providing a reference for you fill out this Reference Form.
Community of Christ Seminary
1401 W. Truman Road
Independence, MO 64050