Group of nursing students in navy scrubs

General Transfer Credit Policy

General Transfer Credit Policy

To delineate policy and procedures followed to award credit for course work taken at other colleges and universities.

  1. For undergraduate programs, the Registrar has the responsibility for the evaluation and awarding of transfer credits according to university transfer policies.
  2. For graduate programs, the appropriate school has the responsibility for the evaluation and awarding of transfer credits.
  3. For undergraduate programs, credit will be accepted if the following requirements are met.
  • Credits must have been earned from regionally accredited institutions, as determined by the Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions, published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Credit not ordinarily accepted as shown in this guide may be accepted at Graceland if it is verified that course work from the sending institution is recognized and accepted at any major state university within that state, or if the credits have been approved for acceptance by Graceland’s schools/divisions.
  • Students have earned a grade of C- or better for transfer courses to be accepted for credit at Graceland University. (See Procedure P.)
  1. An unlimited number of collegiate-level semester hours may be transferred to Graceland University. However, only a limited number of developmental, remedial, physical education activity, vocational-technical, music ensemble and English as a Second Language semester hours are acceptable (see procedure for clarification).
  2. All graduation requirements as outlined in the current catalog must still be met by students who wish to transfer work to Graceland.
  3. No coursework completed at other institutions (transfer work) is included in the calculation of the Graceland University GPA.

To provide for a consistent evaluation of credits taken at other colleges and universities

  1. Official transcripts are required and must be received directly from all accredited and non-accredited secondary and post-secondary institutions (VA requirement and regulation for federal financial aid).
  2. A maximum of 16 semester hours of vocational-technical course work will be accepted as elective credit, if needed.
  3. A maximum of 6 semester hours of physical education activities, including a maximum of 2 semester hours of intercollegiate sports, will be accepted.
  4. A maximum of 8 semester hours of music ensemble credit will be accepted.
  5. A maximum of 8 semester hours of English as a Second Language will be accepted.
  6. A maximum of 6 semester hours of developmental or remedial coursework will be accepted.
  7. Credit can be accepted according to the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to Educational Credit by Examination. Score reports must be sent directly from the testing center to Graceland University for evaluation.
  8. Credit for proficiency examinations taken at previous post-secondary institutions is not awarded.
  9. Credit does not become obsolete, but application of some credit to a specific program at Graceland may be subject to review by department faculty.
  10. Graceland’s course number, as listed in the current catalog, is assigned to equivalent transfer courses.
  11. An elective course number, “0000” for lower division courses or “4999” for upper division courses, is assigned to non-equivalent transfer courses.
  12. Course titles and semester hours assigned by the sending institution are generally retained on the Graceland record.
  13. Quarter hours are converted to semester hours; one quarter hour equals 2/3 of a semester hour.
  14. Courses accepted for transfer are accepted as credit only and are recorded with a transfer grade of “TA, TB, TC, TD, or TP” in place of a letter grade. The transfer grades do not carry grade points.
  15. All work transferred from two-year institutions will be considered lower division. However, some two-year college courses may meet the intent of specific upper division courses at Graceland. In this case, the courses are assigned a lower division number “0000” and the upper division course is included on the academic record as “WV”. The intent of the course is met, but the hours will not count toward the upper division requirement.
  16. Coursework in which the student has earned a passing grade of less than a C- (D+, D, or D-) can be transferred to Graceland University if the work was included as part of an earned Associates or Bachelors Degree.
  17. Credit for military programs and training is awarded according to ACE recommendations in the baccalaureate category in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
  18. Graduates of colleges and/or schools of nursing located outside the US may find it impossible to obtain official transcripts from the institution. After all other efforts to obtain an official transcript have failed, the student may request a letter from any college attended in the US or from the state board of nursing. A copy of the “foreign transcript” received by the college or state board should accompany the letter with a statement certifying it is a true copy of the official transcript received previously by the college or state board from the foreign institution.
  19. Credit may be awarded for post-secondary education completed at colleges and/or universities in foreign countries. A course-by-course evaluation provided by the World Education Service (WES) is required before awarding credit. If the student is pursuing admission to the MSN program, nursing credits earned at an institution outside the US are evaluated by the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) before awarding credits.
  20. Department faculty and college catalogs may be consulted for advice. Undergraduate students may petition the university, appropriate school or college to request variance in program requirements in light of previous background.