Then & Now
1 The HIGDON ADMINISTRATION BUILDING was constructed in 1897 and was the first building on what is now the Lamoni campus. This image was taken of the building in 1943. A "fleet" of sheep was purchased to assist in “mowing” the campus lawn during World War II. 2 Renovation of the HIGDON ADMINISTRATION BUILDING was completed in 1997. It now stands in the center of campus and has become known as the symbol of Graceland University. 3 BRIGGS HALL opened in 1921 and is the second oldest building at Graceland. It has been used as everything from a dormitory, classrooms, the campus library, hospital and dining hall to offices. 4 The BRIGGS stairs are known to generations of Gracelanders as the most intimidating on campus. The building has not experienced any major renovations and is in need of updates. It is included as a part of the current $24 million Life on the Hill campaign. 5 PLATZ-MORTIMORE SCIENCE HALL first opened in 1955 and housed the science labs and classrooms. 6 The science building underwent a major renovation in 2009. RESCH SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY HALL now features four classrooms, nine labs, three preparation and storage areas, as well as faculty offices and administrative spaces. 7 KELLEY HALL was completed in 1947 and originated as a World War II surplus building that came from the Jefferson barracks in St. Louis. It was used primarily for drawing, painting and ceramics courses. 8 THE HELENE CENTER FOR THE VISUAL ARTS opened in the fall of 2003. The facility offers everything from a printing press to a woodshop and boasts one of the few bronze and aluminum casting studios in the Midwest. 9 Graceland’s library was located in Briggs Hall from 1929 to 1966. It was previously housed in the administration building and, in 1928, was selected as a government depository. 10 When the FREDERICK MADISON SMITH LIBRARY opened in 1966, nearly 200 people gathered to help move the nearly 50,000 volumes from Briggs into the new facility. 11 The Industrial Department offered work-study opportunities at GRACELAND-OWNED FARMS beginning in 1906, with chickens, pigs, a team of horses and a cow. 12 Today, GRACELAND SUSTAINABILITY manages an eco plot of an acre of land at the northeastern corner of the Lamoni campus. It is made up of the Persall Orchard and Gazebo, fruit and nut tree plantings, a 20' x 80' hoop house/high tunnel with raised beds and an outdoor garden with raised beds. 13 BIG G LAKE was constructed in 1959, and in 1960, the concrete “G,” measuring 72 feet from top to bottom, was laid to be seen from the west football stands. 14 The concrete BIG G was redone in 2011, and for Homecoming 2012, honor class gifts provided funding that turned the space into a park for student use. It now includes a parking area, picnic tables and barbecue grills for everyone to enjoy. 15 The CHAPEL IN THE GROVE was an outdoor bandstand completed in 1959 and was located south of the F. M. Smith Library. It was used for graduations and some major theatrical productions. 16 The SHAW CENTER AMPHITHEATRE was created as part of the Shaw Center renovations in 2012 and hosts crowds for homecomings, Spectacular and other gatherings, including classes that take their lessons outdoors on nice days.