Acceptance to Teacher Education
You must meet the requirements listed below to be accepted into the Teacher Education Program and before applying for a Practicum or Student Teaching field experience. When you have completed the acceptance requirements, your name will automatically go before the Teacher Education Committee at their next regularly scheduled monthly meeting. The Teacher Education Committee will review your file and determine final acceptance into the Teacher Education Program. You will receive a letter informing you of your acceptance status.
- Application to Teacher Education
- Minimum 2.75 grade point
- Three Professional/Faculty References (two from GSOE faculty)
- CBASE (Must score 235 or above in Math and English)
- Graduation Plan
- Final Grade in EDUC1400 ("C" or above)
- "Pass" Grade for EDUC1410 Clinical Lab for EDUC1400
- "Pass" Grade for EDUC2420 Entry Workshop
Candidates seeking admission to Student Teaching are required to complete the following prior to March 1 of the year prior to when student teaching is to begin. Applicants must have:
- been admitted to the Teacher Education Program,
- completed required Education courses with e-portfolio assessed,
- maintained a 2.75 cumulative GPA,
- earned a "C" or higher grade in all required Education classes,
- completed a successful practicum or internship,
- removed incomplete grades in required Education courses or other courses. If completion of an incomplete grade is pending, submit a plan for completion before participation in student teaching,
- taken the Content Knowledge portions of Praxis II the semester prior to student teaching and
- registered for the Principles of Learning and Teaching portion of Praxis II by the end of student teaching.
At the close of their final semester, students normally apply to the state for licensure. Teaching certificates are then issued by Iowa to applicants who meet these requirements:
- a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher and "C" or higher grades in all education courses,
- specific program completion with a "Pass" grade for student teaching,
- completion of program surveys and assessments,
- successful completion of e-portfolio,
- All Teacher Education candidates (Elementary and Secondary) must pass two PRAXIS II tests: a Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test, as well as a Content Knowledge test for your major (not endorsement area), and
- university recommendation.
When planning to teach in a state other than Iowa, students will plan their programs in accordance with the requirements of the other state. They will in turn be recommended by the university for those certificates for which they qualify.