- Applicant must have earned a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale, or the equivalent from a non-U.S. institution. Students with a GPA below 3.0 will need to demonstrate the ability to do work at the graduate level.
- Applicant must complete the application from that is available on the seminary website.
- Applicant must provide official transcripts of all course work.
- Applicant should request references from three persons who can attest to the applicant's promise for graduate study. References should be submitted directly by recommenders using the reference form link. Recommenders should be persons who have known the applicant for more than 1 year and who have knowledge of the intellectual and ministerial abilities of the applicant.
Graceland University Community of Christ Seminary has a rolling admissions process; students may apply at any time during the year. New MAR cohorts begin in the fall term each year.
- The Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) is a 30 semester-hour graduate degree. Students must satisfactorily complete all 10 courses of the curriculum with a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Students must attend focus sessions in person when a course includes a focus session. Focus sessions are scheduled during the fourth weeks of January and May of each year.
- A maximum of nine semester hours with a grade of "C" will apply toward the MAR degree. Students who earn a "C" in more than the maximum allowed number of hours will be required to repeat excess courses in which a "C" was earned. Students must repeat any course in which they earn a grade lower than a "C."
- Students will normally successfully complete requirements for the MAR degree in two years of part-time study; students are allowed up to four years to complete the program.
M.A.R. Degree - Religion
- RELG5011 Christian Theology 3 s.h.
- RELG5022 Introduction to the Hebrew Bible 3 s.h.
- RELG5040 New Testament I 3 s.h.
- RELG5050 New Testament II 3 s.h.
- RELG5060 History of Christian Thought I 3 s.h.
- RELG5070 History of Christian Thought II 3 s.h.
- *RELG5330 Community of Christ I: 1820-1914, History-Scripture-Theology 3 s.h.
- *RELG5340 Community of Christ II: 1914-Present, History-Scripture-Theology 3 s.h.
- RELG6240 Contemporary Culture and Theologies 3 s.h.
- RELG6500 Portfolio 0 s.h.
- RELG6900 Advanced Topics in Practical Ministry 1-3 s.h.
*Students from other denominations may substitute approved denomination-specific course work.
Transfer of Credits
Students may request the transfer of a maximum of 9 semester hours of credit for the MAR, provided that the courses transferred approximate courses offered by Community of Christ Seminary, were taken at a regionally accredited institution or its non-US equivalent, and that the student earned at least a “B” in those courses. The request must be accompanied by an official transcript from the institution where the credit was earned.
You may apply online.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The application fee is non-refundable unless requested within three business days of Graceland receiving the fee.
Please have those who are providing a reference for you fill out this Reference Form.
Community of Christ Seminary
1401 W. Truman Road
Independence, MO 64050