Students interested in pursuing a Masters (M.P.T.) or Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.) degree should major in Biology or another appropriate major from the Division of Health and Movement Science. Students should review the admissions requirements for the physical therapy schools of their choice. We recommend that students complete the following courses (in addition to major requirements) for preparation for admission and success in physical therapy school:
- ATHT2500 Medical Terminology
- BIOL3120 Internship in Biological Sciences
- BIOL3420 Human Anatomy
- BIOL3440 Human Physiology
- MATH1380 Introduction to Statistics
- MATH1510 Calculus I
- PHED3340 Anatomical and Mechanical Kinesiology
- PHED4360 Exercise Physiology
- PSYC1300 Introductory Psychology
- PSYC2250 Developmental Psychology
- SOCI1300 Introduction to Sociology
During summers, students should consider internships or volunteer experiences working with licensed physical therapists at local hospitals or clinics to gain practical experience. Most students take the GRE exam in April of their junior year and begin to apply to physical therapy schools during the summer following their junior year. Early application using the PTCAS application service is strongly recommended.
Students interested in other allied health professions should follow similar recommendations. As always, students should review the admissions requirements for the programs of their choice and seek practical experience in the field.