Student Employment

Employment as a student is a learning experience and a means to develop and enhance positive values regarding work and service. You will learn time management, employee responsibility and, in some cases, gain leadership experience, all while earning money to help finance your stay at college. Your job on campus is a real job. It affects the day-to-day operations of the university and the quality of our service to the students, families, staff and faculty that make up our Graceland community.

Funding for Graceland's student employment program comes from the Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) and from Graceland University funds. Student employment is considered a type of financial aid. Campus employers are encouraged to give priority in hiring to students who have demonstrated financial need for employment by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Work-Study is a need-based employment program for citizens and permanent residents of the United States or eligible non citizens. To apply, file your FAFSA. You are notified of your eligibility for FWS on the award notice issued to you from Financial Aid Services. Eligibility for FWS does not guarantee employment. It is your responsibility to interview with prospective campus employers and accept employment. The maximum FWS award you can earn depends on your financial need and other financial aid you may be receiving.

Student employment funded by the university may be available regardless of your financial need.

Specific to International Students: As an international student, you are only allowed to work on campus; Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) regulations stipulate off-campus employment as illegal. If you choose to work on campus and there is sufficient room in your educational budget, a five hour per week work assignment with an earning capacity of $1,090 per year is allowed for Intensive English as Second Language (ESL) international students. A 10 hour per week work assignment with a $2,180 earning capacity will be available to international students not in the ESL program at the time of hire. International students may not work more than 20 hours a week without violating their student visa.  Most students use the money they earn for miscellaneous expenses. To obtain an institutional employment position, you need to work with the Director of International Programs and the Student Employment Coordinator. It is your responsibility to locate a job on campus. Graceland University cannot guarantee a position to any student.


How to Apply

Students must qualify for employment each academic year. To be employed as a student you must:

  • Submit the student employment application located in My Graceland. This must be done for each academic year that employment is desired.
  • Be enrolled for six hours or more while employed.
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes as defined in the university catalog, or be approved for financial aid probation.

It is also to your advantage to establish priority eligibility for hiring by filing the FAFSA.

It is the responsibility of the student to locate a job suitable to their needs and experience. Upon completion of the student employment application, copies of the application will be forwarded to the departments that you indicate. You will then need to make an appointment with that department supervisor for an interview. Once you are hired, you are required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States (e.g. a birth certificate, social security card, passport or alien registration card). You must also complete the I-9 Form, W-4 Form, and the direct deposit authorization form. These may be obtained online or from InfoCentral or the Human Resources Office.

Most student positions require that you work five to 10 hours per week while classes are in session. Most students are allowed to work 10 hours total per week. There are also positions that have an irregular schedule where you may work as needed. With only a few exceptions, student employees are paid the federal minimum wage.

When your supervisor's request to hire you has been approved and you have your application and payroll forms on file in the Human Resources Office, you will be set up to do time entry online.


Community Service Jobs

Community service jobs, funded by the Federal Work-Study Program, are designed to improve the quality of life for the community residents or solve particular problems related to their needs. Graceland University has contracted with the Lamoni Community School, Funshine daycare and the Lamoni Public Library to provide a limited number of community service work-study jobs for Graceland students. These off-campus positions are available only to students who qualify for Federal Work-Study. To apply for one of these positions you must first contact Student Employment.