Graceland University is seeking a nine-month Personal Counselor in the Career and Personal Counseling (CAP) Center on the Lamoni, Iowa, campus. This position applies graduate-level clinical counseling skills to the psychosocial assessment of individuals and groups; provides counseling interventions, as appropriate, to serve student needs; and consults and collaborates with community professionals and programs.
Qualifications: Licensed Mental Health Clinician (Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology, or Social Work) with a master’s degree. The clinician must be licensed to practice independently, and their degree must be from an accredited academic institution. Past clinical experience that is commensurate with the clinical needs of the college age population is preferred. Successful candidates must have strong listening and communication skills, and the ability to work well in an interdisciplinary setting.
- Has understanding of the developmental and intellectual processes of college-aged students.
- Forms productive relationships with staff and students and assists students in maintaining good mental health.
- Develops a clinical plan for students, which is consistent with master’s level or advanced expertise, and department policies and procedures.
- Provides clinical psychosocial treatment consistent with scope of practice allowed by professional license.
- Assists with the development and implementation of a campus education/prevention plan for emotional/social issues facing students, e.g. alcohol awareness, sexual decision making, positive mental health.
- Provides 24-hour crisis counseling and appropriate referrals.
- Keeps records current and according to standards of licensure.
- In special cases, and when appropriate, consults with the Dean of Students and other professional staff in developing interventions and/or approaches for some students.
- Maintains current Iowa license and adheres to license requirements.
This is a nine-month position (mid August through mid May). To apply, send cover letter, resume and three letters of reference to: Human Resources, Graceland University, 1 University Place, Lamoni, IA 50140. Fax: 641-784-5033; email: email@example.com. Position open until filled. Selected candidate will begin Spring 2016.
Equal Opportunity Employment has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Graceland University, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, creed, gender identity, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic by law. This policy applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, benefits, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. Questions or concerns should be referred to the Human Resources Office.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and complete employment eligibility verification paperwork.