Post-graduates from Graceland or other institutions may seek additional endorsements through Graceland University.
(1) Notify the School of Education - Margo Frizzell (firstname.lastname@example.org) - that you are considering Graceland for an additional endorsement in your field. Margo will work with you and the Registrar to determine the coursework required for the endorsement.
(2) If you decide to go forward with the endorsement and enroll at Graceland, contact the Admissions Office (Larry Johnson - email@example.com) to activate your file. New students will need to apply and request official transcripts(s) be sent to the Admissions Office. If you are a returning Graceland student, you will also need to send official transcripts for any college-level coursework completed at another institution. The application fee is waived for part-time students.
Send Official Transcripts To:
Larry Johnson/Admissions Office
1 University Place
Lamoni, IA 50140
|Special Education||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
|Reading||Three-week (105 hours)||3|
|PK-K||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
|Art K-8||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
|Music K-8||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
|PE K-8||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
|Secondary||Two-week (80 hours)||2|
Licensed teachers can substitute a practicum for full student teaching under the supervision of an appropriately licensed teacher or a school administrator who observes three lessons and observes your teaching enough to do an evaluation for you. You must complete the required practicum journals, reflections, and other paperwork described in the practicum handbook. You will email these to the designated university supervisor.
Districts can hire you if you have at least 12 hours complete toward the endorsement and a plan to finish the other classes within two years. If you are teaching on a temporary license for a school district, you can do the practicum in your own classroom if a school administrator agrees to do the supervision.
Steps for Enrolling in a Practicum
(1) Send a letter or email to the Field Office detailing how you plan to meet the requirements for the practicum. The letter should include:
- Explain how you will gain at least 105 hours in a Title I or Reading Recovery environment for a reading endorsement, or at least 80 hours in a special education environment for a special education endorsement.
- Explain who will observe you teaching three lessons in the environment, and his/her qualifications to qualify as an appropriately licensed teacher or administrator.
- Explain how you intend to cover the cost of the course. You can review Graceland's tuition rates HERE. Questions can be addressed to Student Accounts.