Post-Graduate Endorsement

Post-graduates from Graceland or other institutions may seek additional endorsements through Graceland University.

Admission/Enrollment Steps 

(1) Notify the School of Education - Margo Frizzell ( - that you are considering Graceland for an additional endorsement in your field. Margo will work with you and the Registrar to determine the coursework required for the endorsement.

(2) If you decide to go forward with the endorsement and enroll at Graceland, contact the Admissions Office (Larry Johnson - to activate your file. New students will need to apply and request official transcripts(s) be sent to the Admissions Office. If you are a returning Graceland student, you will also need to send official transcripts for any college-level coursework completed at another institution. The application fee is waived for part-time students.

Send Official Transcripts To:

Larry Johnson/Admissions Office
Graceland University
1 University Place
Lamoni, IA 50140

(3) Write a letter detailing how you plan to meet the requirements for the practicum. The letter should include:

  1. Explain how you will meet the required hours for the practicum
  2. Explain who will observe you teaching three lessons in the environment, and his/her qualifications to qualify as an appropriately licensed teacher or administrator.
  3. Explain how you intend to cover the cost of the course. You can review Graceland's tuition rates HERE. Questions can be addressed to Student Accounts.

Send letter or email to:

Graceland University - School of Education
James Uhlenkamp - Director of Field Experience
1 University Place
Lamoni, IA 50140 

Endorsement Length Credit Hours
Special Education Two-week (80 hours) 2
Reading Three-week (105 hours) 3
PK-K Two-week (80 hours) 2
Art K-8 Two-week (80 hours) 2
Music K-8 Two-week (80 hours) 2
PE K-8 Two-week (80 hours) 2
Secondary Two-week (80 hours) 2
Middle School 5-8 Two-week (80 hours) 2

Licensed teachers can substitute a practicum for full student teaching under the supervision of an appropriately licensed teacher or a school administrator who observes three lessons and observes your teaching enough to do an evaluation for you. You must complete the required practicum journals, reflections, and other paperwork described in the practicum handbook. You will email these to the designated university supervisor.

Districts can hire you if you have at least 12 hours complete toward the endorsement and a plan to finish the other classes within two years. If you are teaching on a temporary license for a school district, you can do the practicum in your own classroom if a school administrator agrees to do the supervision.